Sunday, December 4, 2011

A trip to the Holy See (Vatican City)

St Peter's Basilica, Vatican City, Vatican


The Vatican City state is sovereign and independent though within the city of Rome. It was recognized as an independent state on February 11, 1929  under three Lateran treaties between the Holy See and Italy after a decade long struggle for Italian unification.  


St Peter's Square, Vatican City, Vatican

Vatican City State is the world's smallest state with a land area of only 44 hectares and the smallest population in the world for only 832 as of July 2011. The Vatican City state has its own citizen, flag, own coins and postage stamps.   The head of the state is the Pope who holds full legislative, executive and judicial powers.  Upon the death of the Pope, the College of Cardinals elects his successor.


Vatican City, Vatican
St Peter's Basilica, Vatican City, Vatican



Vatican is a very popular tourist destination not only for Christians. Famous landmarks include Saint Peter's Square, Basilica of St. Peter, the Vatican Museums, the Sistine Chapel, Vatican Garden, and Raphael Rooms.
St Peter's Basilica, Vatican City, Vatican

St Peter's Square, Vatican City, Vatican
St Peter Basilica and St Peter Square

St Peter's Square, Vatican City, Vatican
St Peter's Square, Vatican City, Vatican

St Peter's Square, Vatican City, Vatican


St Peter's Basilica, Vatican City, Vatican 
Entrance to St Peter's Basilica, the church is off limits to tourist.


Ancient Underground Cemetery under St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican City
Ancient Underground Cemetery under St. Peter's Basilica, Vatica City
Ancient Underground Cemetery under St. Peter's Basilica, Vatica City

Ancient underground cemetery under St Peter's Basilica - Popes and Royals lies in this cemetery.  Only limited areas of the underground cemetary is allowed to be photographed. But I vouched that when I reached the tomb of Pope John Paul II it gave me chills!  John Paul II was beatified on May 1, 2011. I was lucky to have visited his tomb before his beatification. It was indeed a memorable experience!


Vatican Museum, Vatican City
Vatican Museum, Vatican City
Vatican Museum, Vatican City
Vatican Museum, Vatican City

 "The Vatican Museums (ItalianMusei Vaticani), in Viale Vaticano in Rome, inside the Vatican City, are among the greatest museums in the world, since they display works from the immense collection built up by the Roman Catholic Church throughout the centuries, including some of the most renowned classical sculptures and most important masterpieces of Renaissance art in the world." - Wikipedia


Vatican Museum, Vatican City
Vatican Museum, Vatican City
Vatican Museum, Vatican City
Vatican Museum, Vatican City

The museum is so huge that you will need several hours to tour it, it houses art works collected  by the Popes through the centuries. The Sistine Chapel is also within the Vatican Museum famous for the "The Last Judgement" by Michaelangelo.


Vatican Museum, Vatican City
Vatican Museum, Vatican City
Vatican Museum, Vatican City


Vatican City, Vatican
Vatican City, Vatican
bronze balustrade which sculpted by Antonio Maraini,  Vatican City
Glass Ceiling At Vatican City

At the main entrance to the museum you will find the glass ceiling and the well photographed bronze balustrade which was sculpted by Antonio Maraini. 

Vatican Museum, Vatican City

 I hope you enjoyed the pictures!! Of course I can't resist to put my face... Ciao!!!  Smiley








Pin It


41 comments:

  1. From Jeff,

    The pictures are of course great. There are very few places on this earth with man-made beauty that is as awesome as the Vatican. Quite the Blessing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing those Beautiful experiences and Pictures as well:)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so lucky to be able to travel to so many places. I would love to go to the Vatican too since it's so rich in history and I love history. I also hear that there are many Filipinos there. :) I wanna see Michael Angelo's work at the Sistine Chapel too! Sigh :) Kelan pa kaya? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Yeah well worth the trip, Michelangelo work is a must see, the original paintings are not allowed to be photographed but they are instilled in my memory... ;-)

      Delete
  4. Good for you that you have been able to visit this holy place. Did you have to pay any entrance fee for the underground cemetery?



    Much support, Christia
    _______
    Adventures of Spa Girl: Nuat Thai from Christia's World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christia! Entrance to Vatican Is euro15, you can already visit all the areas where tourist are allowed. But the line is so long! If u don't want to waste time you can just book a tour and you will get a VIP pass.. ;-) thanks so much for dropping by! ;-!

      Delete
  5. that's really a breathtaking tour browsing at your post

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a gift in photography. Your photos are amazing. It made feel i was there. Great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much John and Joyie! thanks for dropping by.. ;-)

      Delete
  7. A city within a city - this is the place that caught my curiosity why it is so! It has her own government, an autonomous one run by the Pope. It's a holy place and it's open to public. Another one my curiosity is tapped for the architectural structure of the buildings is to impressive, majestic and amazing. I want to see, touch them personally just even in my dream. Thanks for your vivid and candid pictures posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know what Violly there is part of Italy I wanted to go and you were all blog them with beautiful pictures. I'm not sure, if I'm going there this year hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to visit Vatican too when time and budget permits me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures! The Vatican Museum is on my bucket list!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! you've really been to many beautiful places. Hope I could get to visit Vatican city too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely pictures!

    one day I'll go there myself (a promise to myself)...

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems to me that your pics become grander and grander in each post you make. Oh my...I enjoyed them a lot. Can we be best friends now? Because best friends treat each other sometimes...and I need a free travel to your place right now...hahaha...

    Great captures and great site you have here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. must visit indeed beautiful like all the shots . Hope one day i will have a chance to witness Vatican - the holy place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ikaw na! Ikaw na ang mega European tour haha. Vatican City is such an unusual place given the history and the physical and political characteristics, those reasons give travelers the itch to see this little state.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ang ganda ng pictures! Lalo na yung sa pinaka-huli. Ayeeeeee n_n
    Sana makapunta din ako dito. Habang tumatagal lalong dumadami yung mga gusto kong puntahan. Sama mo ako minsan mam vivi, kahit porter mo lang ako, hahaa :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!

    Good thing taking pictures of the place wasn't as strict as I am thinking. I just hope here in the Philippines its more fun to take pictures here ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so majestic. I could just remember The Da Vinci Code and it's also giving me chills ate... Sama ako sa trip mo sa susunod.

    ReplyDelete
  19. im lovin all your post. they are the dreams of every pinoy. taking one place at a time to travel the world...gb

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is what I love about blog hopping...I am not a well traveled person, blogpost like this serves as my window to the world.

    I am in awe. Vatican is a dream destination for every Catholic like us. You are so blessed.

    Keep on blogging and inspiring others.

    Been here from FBW FB group

    its me,
    cielo of Brown Pinay

    ReplyDelete
  21. im in complete awe.... I should try this one in this lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Vatican City is definitely on my travel list, especially now that I saw your pictures. Even if I'm not a Catholic, I'm still hoping that I will be given the opportunity to visit this place someday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never cease to be amazed whenever I read your travel posts. Nakakainggit ka talaga Ms. Violy! :D The Vatican City is one of the places I want to visit within my lifetime. *sigh* If only I can hide in your luggage and join your trips! XD

    ReplyDelete
  24. violyyyyyyyy!!!! sobra kakainggit! dreaming na tuloy ako to post pictures traveling the world!!! - first stop, the Vatican City! :) super lucky you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow, museum. I guess you know how much I love visiting museums. hehe. Your photos are neat too. I love them all. Hehehe. Dream place ko pa pinuntahan mo. :) Galing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Lucky you! I only get to see this place in the movies or pictures. Oh, when I can go these places that you've been visiting?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Alam mo naman, Violly, I am always impressed by your photos, so no need na puriin pa. It's good that you've been to the Vatican. What an awesome place.

    ReplyDelete
  28. very beautiful pictures! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a grand tour this was..
    And the tomb, shows stone sarcophagi..
    Oh my! some of them maybe ancient.
    probably with less people, this walk would probably give a feeling like you back in the past.. these relics are incalculable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really nice photos! I am impressed and I love the way you took the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Vatican is one of the places i would love to visit in this lifetime, you are one lucky gal! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was amazed with the ceilings! I want to go there too!:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'd love to go here before I die!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello! My name is James Sharp. Right now, I'm currently on digitalspidey.com and looking at a beautiful picture that you took of the Vatican. The picture is dated December 4, 2011. I've just written a book about church history, and my book edifies Christianity. With your permission, I would love to use your image as the front cover of my book. My book is currently going through the publishing process; it's already copyrighted. Please contact me via facebook or email at jas20002010@yahoo.com. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nice photos. I hope to visit the Vatican too. One day...

    Rizza (beingwell)

    ReplyDelete
  36. The Vatican is in my bucket list...still wishing...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Indeed, it's a must visit city. Vatican has a lot to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nice post and simply superb to read. thanks for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete