Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pompeii, An Ancient City Frozen in Time


Pompeii is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of italy's most popular tourist attraction with approximately 2.5M tourist every year. It is one of the oldest and largest archaeological site in the world. 


Pompeii is an ancient city frozen in time for more than 17 centuries, the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in the summer of AD79 buried Pompeii in the thick layer of ash and lava before its accidental rediscovery in 1748. Since then, its excavation has provided an extraordinarily details of roman civilization. 


Year 2010 marks the latest cultural disaster in Pompeii. Several walls from the 2,000 years old excavated site started collapsing followed by the "House of the Gladiators " and afterwards is the ancient wall protecting the "House of the Moralist". The whole of Italy echoes concerns about this cultural disaster. 

Before the collapse has started that year, I was lucky to have seen the excavated city a few months earlier. Let me share some of the photos I have taken: 




Buried alive in Pompeii .. pretty eerie to see these cemented bodies in their final moment of anguish and despair. They were not given a chance to run away. The city was engulfed in lava in a matter of seconds!







Here are some amazing wall paintings discovered in Pompeii:



Pompeii's decay is a big disappointment for Italy and I am hopeful that they can still rescue this archaeological site.  If due to neglect and  Pompeii  finally disintegrate, it can never ever be replaced.. and the 250 years of work  for preserving history will be gone to waste....











Pin It


20 comments:

  1. From Jeff,

    Of all the sites of the ancient city of Pompeii, the ones most touching are the one of the former citizens hiding from their inevitable fate. It is chilling and sad at the same time and brings to mind something else we should all prepare for:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar to pinatubo... ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinated with the amazing story behind the place. It somehow gives me chills because of the tragedy but the fact that people are able to see the remains makes me also want to go there in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. im wishing to be there too! thanks for sharing and lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this trip to Pompeii is a great respite and a darn, wonderful destination. I would wish I can come here and travel blog too.

    Thanks for this post. Now I got an idea where to go when I am off to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ang ganda naman.. ang hilig ko sa mga ganyan na mga ruins..hay..:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a place I would definitely want to visit in the near future. Although, it's bittersweet with the story behind the ruins. I'm looking forward on reading more of your travel escapades. :)

    Best Regards!
    Des of chicsassymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, great photos! I love ruins especially for the history they hold. I hope I get to visit this in the future.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos. What an adventure it must be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice shots! I remember when I hiked the Taal Volcano, it was said that when it first erupted, the people did not leave despite the warning, and the first I noticed was a formation that is of a head with the nose evidently protruding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so lucky to have seen this historical place. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope the site will continue to be preserved... Interesting post,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow ... they really need to preserve it ... things like that we will never get back e

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice shots of the ruins, thanks for sharing it with us. Why haven't they given this people proper burial, in my opinion, I don't really think it's proper to display them and be a tourist attraction. Yahweh bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always wanted to visit Pompei. But like Ralph said, I don't think it's proper to display the cemented corpses, making it a tourist attraction. It doesn't seem right to me.

    I love your blog, by the way. You got a new follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Reiza! Yeah they put the bodies there as part of the tourist attraction. I would prefer too if they were given a proper burial. Thanks for visiting my blog! Will visit yours too.. ;)

      Delete
  16. First, I have to tell you that.. these photographs are really nice..
    I have read about pompey. You are so lucky to visit such place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful place and pictures Sis :-) you look lovely too :-)

    http://www.tropical7107islands.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Creepy place. :| nice to know that you had the chance to visit before the 2010 disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The bodies were creepy but I hope they find a way to protect Pompeii from destruction. Pompeii's history reminds us when Mt Pinatubo erupted and buried many places in Zambales. It's sad but its real.

    ReplyDelete