Friday, December 23, 2011

Lucca, Tuscany and its Ancient Walls

Lucca is the only town in Italy entirely surrounded by its 16th century walls. The walls were initially used for military purposes to protect the town, but when they lost their military importance along the years, they became a pedestrian promenade which encircled the old town. 


Lucca is a little Tuscan town rich with Italy's finest medieval and Renaissance architecture, a labyrinth of entwining little streets, one of Tuscany's best-kept secrets.

Lucca was not included in our Tuscany travel itinerary, two members of our travel group from Spain requested for Lucca so we voted and decided to give it a try and I am so glad that we did! 




Lucca is just half an hour drive from Pisa, so make sure to visit both when you drop by this area of Tuscany.  Lucca however caters to the quieter tourist (like me!) who favors private moments. You will encounter more people here on bicycle than on cars.



This is probably the most relaxing walk tour we had on our trip, while eating our gelato we enjoyed the streets of Lucca....

Entrance to Lucca 





Walking the Streets of Lucca:



Piazza dell'Anfiteatro, Lucca

This is the famous oval Piazza in Lucca, used to be a Roman amphitheater. During medieval times, houses were built on the Roman remains; later the area was used as a marketplace. Nowadays it is a nice meeting point with cafes and restaurants for both locals and tourists.

  Panoramic view of the Piazza taken from Wikipedia.


House of the world famous Italian Composer. He was born in Lucca on Dec 22, 1858, the composer of many famous operas like Tosca, Turandot, Madame Butterfly and La Bohème




Chuch of San Michele in Foro and Bell Tower

San Michele in Foro is a Roman Catholic basilica church in Lucca, Tuscany, central Italy, built over the ancient Roman forum. Until 1370 it was the seat of the Consiglio Maggiore (Major Council), the commune's most important assembly. It is dedicated to Archangel Michael. 
                                                                http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiesa_di_San_Michele_in_Foro

The front facade of the church

Church and Baptistery of San Giovanni and Reparata
The Church of Santa Reparata with its adjacent baptistery was built in the 4th century as the cathedral for the city of Lucca.


For more info about his church, pls check this link.

The church of San Cristoforo

Located in the central part of Lucca ,along Fillungo. 

Near the town market situated in the so-called ‘classo Salaiolo’, the church of San Cristoforo played an important political role in the Middle Ages as seat of the ‘consoli delle Cause Lucchesi’. It was rebuilt during the XII century upon the remains of an older construction; the new structure had three aisles separated by pillars and a single apse. The bell tower in the south-east corner of the church is probably from the XIII century. The church was restored during the XIV century when the upper portion of the façade was built with its large rose window.
                                                                                                              http://www.turismo.intoscana.it


Of all the places I've visited in Tuscany, this town is my favorite along with Siena.. hope to visit this place again!  

Thanks for viewing!Smiley 




Pin It


26 comments:

  1. oh my golly goodness! jealous girl right here!!! seeing those pictures makes me wanna go and visit there as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ang ganda talaga ng mga sinaunang gusali... paborito ko yung sa simbahan... saka malinis yung paligid...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I am again, mesmerized by your wonderful photos. I hope one day I can shoot in those places too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very picturesque and camera-friendly. Such a wonderful city without the stress of traffic jam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember i already mention this in someone's blog (or might be this one I guess)that i look forward to visit Tuscany in our next holiday..Italy is simply wonderful and I love going there over and again..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I already heard the beautiful place of lucca, but this is only my first time to see the lucca place, you showed me the beauty of lucca in your photoshoot especially the slideshow, like the place very clean sorroundings. I will visit that someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pictures of the church..
    I like peaceful walks to, where I can observe people.
    I heard a lot of Tuscany, at least in movies..
    But its amazing when someone blogs it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness... "the only town in Italy entirely surrounded by its 16th century walls". That I have to see in person! Listing this down in case we get the chance to visit Europe again in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I think my mom would fall in love with this town! :D She is into medieval times and this is the perfect setting for her. Thank you for sharing this as I only know so little about towns in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so green with envy right now! Italy!! that is one of my dream destinations! Will definitely put Lucca down on my future travel plans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Authentic Italian ice cream, one for me please... :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. i just so love the Italian landscape and the churches. and great for you to have seen the house of Puccini! Nice prose and great photos to come along your vacay, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is -8 now in Italy! Good thing you went during the summer. I love the Roman Catholic basilica church in Lucca, Tuscany, central Italy the San Michele in Foro! It is very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read about this topic before by American traveller he says if that is in San Francisco they will demolish the building and fitted with glass wall. I commented you just prove your American idiot who has no culture. He is travelling in Italy not knowing Italy is very old country with cultural heritage. For me I simply love it. It's their culture and unique. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow to your panoramic photo. Captivating!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Italy is always inspiring and I learned making book arts the Italian way. Seeing photos like this saves me money haha! I cannot afford to travel to such places and could only dream of traveling the whole Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  17. mga manami gid ya ang mga lugar sa Italy. The architectural artifacts, the ancient edifices, the panoramic sights... everything is so lovely, so picturesque!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, tuscany! i'm so envious. i hope i can go there someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like Lucca is my kind of town, based on your description (and yes, I'm the "quieter" kind of tourist). Oh, I just love that French window with a floral balcony. Even though it's called French, I always associate it with Italia. Wishing my bedroom window were like that (oh well, I don't my neighbor's backyard would be a nice view, hehe).

    ReplyDelete
  20. i imagining myself and my sweetheart doing a "Hollywood kiss" in open park of Tuscany.. hehehe a great summer-lovin' destination :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can't seem to find words to express how I feel about those buildings...they are simply amazing. I wonder how many years did it took the workers to finish those very detailed walls.

    Italy is one of a kind city and I'd be very blessed if Id be able to visit it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow . Ang ganda ng panoramic sights i wish makapunta rin ako dyan

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love looking at your europe pics. so envious...if you don't mind me asking...did you spend a lot? i wanna go and visit in two years' time. i'll save up first.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The balcony with colourful green and red/orange flowers is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like the engineering structure of the Church.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have share very beautiful pics.There are some old culture i am looking in your blog.Some buildings are old but these are very attractive.Desert Safari Dubai is also have old culture like as Huka ,Camel riding and dance overnight.

    Desert Safari

    ReplyDelete