Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Medieval Town of Assisi


Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli (Saint Mary of Angels), Assisi

For sure you have heard of St. Francis of Assisi? He is one of the most popular Cathollic Saints in history,  a patron saint of animals and ecology, the founder of the Franciscan order.  Assisi is best known as the birthplace of St Francis and owes its fame to him.






Assisi is a town situated on a hill in the province of Perugia in the Umbria region, on the slopes of Monte Subasio. It has a population of 25000 but only  6000 people are living in the historic center. It  attracts around 5 million tourists every year. In 2000, the UNESCO inscribed Assisi, as a World Heritage Site.


Assisi today is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Italy with medieval streets and sacred shrines and has been a major Catholic pilgrimage destination for centuries.   




Out of respect, I did not take photos inside the church, but for a more comprehensive tour and even the picture of the crypt with the Tomb of St. Francis, please check this link.

Assisi, Italy
Cultural Town Walk

Assisi, Italy

 


Assisi Italy



Assisi, Italy

Assisi, Italy
View from Assisi Cultural Town
Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli (Saint Mary of the Angels) -  a church situated  at the foot of the hill of Assisi, Italy. It is the seventh largest church in the world. It is important because it was the initial nucleus from which the Franciscan order was born.

Basilica of Santa Marie Angeli (Saint Mary of the Angels), Assisi

Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli (Saint Mary of the Angels)

If given a chance, don't miss to visit this place. It's simply amazing!  Thanks for viewing!


All photos are taken by me.

Camera Used: Panasonic Lumix FZ35







Pin It


20 comments:

  1. From Jeff,

    Didn't spend as much time there as I would have liked but hopefully next time, will be able to get more in depth with the pics with a better camera:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sis I enjoy the photos I love the view but most of all I love your dress, if sawa ka na sakin nalang hahahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe ukay-ukay lang yan sis... ;-)

      Delete
    2. I was first attracted to your dress! Pero buti naman namaintain nila sa Assisi ang cream-colored churches nila.

      Delete
  3. ... will follow your steps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. ang ganda talaga ng church! With its history and beauty, it's no wonder kinilala ng UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.. Wow. even the roads and the buildings, ang ganda. Tsk. Sana one day, makarating din ako dyan...

    P.S.
    I just gotta say it.. Ganda rin ng dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! That's my ukay-ukay dress!!! Free! ;-)

      Delete
  5. I say this is one of the best UNESCO Heritage sites in the world and its great you get yourself there. I love the photos as usual

    ReplyDelete
  6. this place is look old to me..but it seems a place..i wanna visit here someday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Just wow! That view from Assisi Cultural Town took my breath away and there's not even anything super special in it! I just loved how vast the field looked and how you can see the mountains in the horizon. I super love the architecture as well. I feel like I'm in the novel Don Quixote de la Mancha :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is as close as we can get to the place right now. Thank you for sharing. Hoping to visit this someday! I am going to put this place in my dream journal.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of the beautiful things about Italy, the preserved historical architecture, the feel of old life, beautiful photos, thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. St. Francis of Assisi was probably one of the first saints I knew in elementary. It must have been cool to visit his hometown.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What else can I say? This place sure looks awesome. The architecture, the churches, everything. I am simply awestruck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When you said Umbria region I thought of 'My House in Umbria' So many films set in Italy. Well, what do we expect from a beautiful country. I see it's not cold when you went there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hazel, thanks for dropping by! Yeah we went there during summertime, cheaper and easier for me too 'coz I hate traveling when its cold.. ;)

      Delete
  13. I couldn't help but notice your dress. I love it! :)
    I wish I could go there someday. I've never seen a church as magnificent as that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Pepper! Yeah I love this chruch, and the interior is really something. The remains of St Francis is also there.

      Delete
  14. I'm super interested in places like this. So nice to be there, I'm sure. Love your dress too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. awesome architectural design not to mention it was built a long long time ago, to see the prehistoric churches around the world is on my bucket list, hope i could be there sometime too

    ReplyDelete