Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Roman Forum - Rome, Italy

What is best thing about Rome that we love? History! Rome is well known as the "The Eternal City"and one of the most magnificent city in the world with nearly 3,000 years of history.

Roman Forum is located at the center of Rome. It is  a plaza surrounded by ruins of  ancient temples, senate house , law courts  and other important government structures. The Forum was the center of political and social activity of the Romans but after the fall of the Roman Empire, the Forum was forgotten.  Similar to many other ancient Roman buildings like the Colosseum, stone blocks have been removed from the Forum and used to build nearby churches and palaces.

Let me share some of the pictures I have taken to what remains in the Roman Forum:






The Temple of Antoninus and Faustina is by far the best preserved building in the Forum.  It  was built in  141AD by Emperor Antoninus Pius and initially dedicated to his deceased wife Faustina the Elder. This temple was changed in the middle ages into the church of "San Lorenzo in Miranda". 




 


 Temple of Divus Romulus - built in the 4th century AD, the large well-preserved bronze door is still in its original state.


Temple of Castor and Pollux -  Only three pillars remain of the Temple The original temple was built in 484 BC, the current ruins date from its last reconstruction in 6 A.D. The temple was built by the roman dictator Postumius who vowed to build the temple if his army would beat the Tarquin Kings who previously ruled Rome. According to the legend, Castor and Pollux, mythological twin brothers, helped the Roman army to victory and announced the victory at the forum. - http://www.aviewoncities.com/rome/forumromanum.htm





Check also my other Rome related blog entries:
- Piazza di Spagna, Spanish Steps and Piazza Trinita' dei Monti, Rome
- A trip to the Holy See (Vatican City)




Pin It


20 comments:

  1. I really wana go somewhere like this! Where old stuff is. Very interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish that i could go to Rome someday :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny coz I have an italian title for my post today and was checking on my Rome's pics this morning. hmmm....;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've surfed the net more than three hours today, and your blog was the coolest of all. Thanks a lot, it is really useful to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping by and enjoying my blog, greatly appreciated. ;)

      Delete
  5. Wow! I love all these photos! I wish I can visit Rome too in the future. I love history and ruins so I'm sure I'd enjoy my time at the Roman Forum.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow :O ganda ng lugar ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow so beautiful! Rome will ever be on my top need to visit places abroad :D but Batanes first :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Rome is a great place to explore.. and Batanes is in my "to go list" also.. hopefully this year! Goodluck to us! ;)

      Delete
  8. Rome is really one the of the places which has notable history. I might have not reach that place but your post Violy has brought me the picture of the spot.

    Keep sharing. Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is way cool! I've always wanted to go to Rome but I just seriously cannot afford it, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. At least they are take care off, such responsible people in Rome

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, great photos and great write-up of the Roman forum, Castor and Pollux , etc. I actually studied Latin for 6.5 years in high and college and took lots of courses in Roman history so this is a great post for me. My Mom and Dad went here but I have not made it yet!

    Thanks for Sharing!

    ~ Jupiter Jim

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow the joys of travelling.. I'd love to tour Rome as well sometime in the near future. But thanks for giving us a glimpse as well. God bless and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every time I visit your blog, I always get this feeling that I'm getting closer to Rome.. Really want to go there and I hope it's soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pics! I hope to visit Rome soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. while reading your post... naalala ko yung friend ko sinabihan nya yung mom nya na "mommy magipon tayo ng 20 pesos every day tapos after 5 or 10 years ata pupunta daw sila sa rome... hehehe... I wanna see rome too.... siguro in the future.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow amazing photos, I envied you for being there :) They're right about saving up to be able spend time in Rome, we'll all be there guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This made me miss my history subject back in high school. :) I wanna go to Rome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blog about travel in Italy is splendid and this picture looks awesome. I love Italy culture, Italian food, tradition etc. Last summer I have visited Italy and I have enjoyed this vacation so much. We are planning to go Italy next vacation. Hope that it would be another wonderful journey.

    ReplyDelete