Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Colosseum , Rome



The Colosseum  (Colosseo) is one of the most famous landmark of Rome, Italy. It was originally called Flavian Amphitheather and the largest ever built in the Roman Empire which can seat 50,000 spectators. It was commisioned in AD 72 by Emperor Vespasian and  completed by his son, Titus, in  80 AD.  
The Signage at the entrance of the Colosseum recording the contributions of various
popes.
The Colosseum was originally used for gladiatorial shows ( deadly combats), wild animal fights and other gatherings for public viewing.

 "Roman gladiators were usually slaves, prisoners of war or condemned criminals. Most were men, but there were a few female gladiators. These combats were attended by the poor, the rich, and frequently the emperor himself. As gladiators fought, vicious cries and curses were heard from the audience around the Roman Colosseum. One contest after another was staged in the course of a single day. Should the ground become too soaked with blood, it was covered over with a fresh layer of sand and the performance went on. The gladiatorial games continued until Christianity progressively put an end to those parts of them which included the death of humans."
                                                                                     -http://www.rome.info/colosseum/

Let me show you some areas of the ruins:

Interior of the Colosseum:


The arena measures 83 meters by 48 meters. The underground consisted of a two-level network of tunnels and cages beneath the arena where gladiators and animals were held before contests began. 



Our tour guide lecturing about the history of the Colosseum.



The exterior of the Colosseum:


The outer wall is estimated to have required over 100,000 cubic meters (131,000 cu yd) of travertine stone which were set without mortar held together by 300 tons of iron clamps.

the entrance from the side

                                                              the Colosseum from the main road (train station)


Arch of Constantine:

Just outside the Colosseum is the famous and well photographed Arch of Constantine (Arco di Costantino), a 25m high monument built in AD315 to mark the victory of Constantine over Maxentius at Pons Milvius.


The Roman Coliseum is located in the heart of piazza del Colosseo, right across the B(blue) metro line train station.


Colosseum admission fee:

             Full ticket - €15.50
             EU reduced ticket - €10.50 (available only for European citizens aged between 18 and 25)
             EU complimentary ticket- €4.50 (available only for EU citizens aged above 65 and under 18)

The line is always long to go inside the Colosseum, if you're in a hurry or don't want to waste time falling in line, book a tour, there are a lot of tour groups that includes tour of the Colosseum.

Opening Schedule:
      The Colosseum is open to the public 7 days a week   excluding Christmas Day and New Year's Day


Closing schedule are as follows:

       Last Sunday of March to end August, 07.15 PM
       September, 07.00 PM
       October, 06.30 PM
       November to February 15th, 04.30 PM
       February 16th to March 15th, 05.00 PM
       March 16th to last Saturday of March, 05.30 PM







Pin It


38 comments:

  1. bakeetttt???? bakit ka may photo dyan? super inggit ako! I've been dreaming of that place ... I don't wanna visit the US save for New York because of the many plays but this is on my list of to visit places .... sigh ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the first photo. i wanna go here too pero no budget. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to learn something about a famous landmark!:) Thanks for the info. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THIS POST! Seriously! Raises so many questions though! Like for example, where is the stage? I would think that there would be a flat expanse somewhere for the gladiators to fight. Or do they really fight in between those walls at the center? I also wonder how long it took them to build that coliseum because it looks massive and you said it required 100,000 cubit meters of stone!! Old structures really fascinate me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Violy! I love the photos you took here and the rare opportunity to come to the Colosseum. Kilan kaya ako makakapunta jan. Super love it but prefers to take photos of this na wala masyadong tao sa sites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Italy is definitely in my bucket list. I just wish I could visit before I start feeling like kicking the bucket, hehe. Nice photos. I don't usually get to see shots of the interior from other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the photo you shoot... love the place...very historical... love to be there someday....

    ReplyDelete
  8. The coliseum was one of the most awesome sites in Italy. It was that much more amazing because of the company I was with:) The camera angle is quite good and the lighting was on point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is such a great place to go to! my mom has been here a lot of times, though sadly, i wasn't able to tag along with her because she was always with a group of friends consisting of my ninangs, so i'm basically going to be the only "kid" :)) which will sort of get awkward :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yey, I'm including this in my itinerary sa backpacking trip ko next month. Mahal naman ng tour. That means di ulit ako kakain ng 1 day para may pag entrance haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. The place looks awesome! Yun nga lang mahal ng entrance. Was the tour worth it? Or better na entrance lang?

    http://christiasworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Been dreaming about Italy like forever. I envy you for having the chance to go on a trip like this. I think I should start saving bucks and travel. Nakakainggit lang.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Italy's Coliseum is a reminiscent of ancient past. This historical ruin that had passed the challenges of time, I remember, was the site of legendary martial arts artist, Bruce Lee, movie, "Enter the Dragon" Did I remember it right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow I can't believe how strong the structural it was still stands through times pass by, nice photo by the way

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this amazing post, I feel like I already got to visit Rome just by looking at your photos. Hope I'll get to visit this place soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG. I want to visit the Colosseum someday too! It looks so ancient, I bet it makes you feel like you time traveled to the past when you visited. This is one of my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of the places that I wanted to see! Hope I can save enough for a family visit to Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Europe will be in my bucket list. I only got to see a Colosseum replica in Macau. =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ganda :)
    i love the history of it .
    very awesome place to be .
    wish I could be there too !!
    [ ENVY ]

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rome is where my heart is, one of my dream travel…

    ReplyDelete
  21. Left me in awe once again as your candid shots of the place make my day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never seen this much detail of the Colosseum, most of the photos I have seen were the facade only. Thank so much for letting us have peek on how it look inside.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rome is such a nice place to travel! The Colosseum, Wow! It's so breathtaking! Dyan ata sila nagshoot ng movie ni Hayden Christensen na Jumper! :)))

    xoxo,
    http://spoonfulofstories.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. i wanna go to Rome and meet new friends at the Colosseum!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i have to go there definitely! my time frame is 5 yrs max (need to save money!)...did u travel alone? i want to try travelling solo din for this trip, gusto kong namnamin ung experience...

    ReplyDelete
  26. How I wish I can travel more in the future. Kainggit that you've been to Europe and have seen a lot of beautiful and historical places.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. ask ko lang if what camera model do you use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi chrisair! I'm using Panasonic lumix fz35, marami na Sayang upgrade now actually. Are you buying a camera? Ayaw mo din ng dslr?? Hehe ;) thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  28. I love to visit Rome. It is such a nice place. Hopefully someday my family could go there.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Tsk. As usual, your pictures are great! Is is The Colosseum or The Coliseum? Anyway, it sure is an awesome place to visit. :)

    Oh, Rome.. Kelan kaya kita mapupuntahan?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Galing nman sana nextime sama mo ako,, =) lol,,, gusto q place,, tnx for sharing ,, pina inggit mo q,, lol


    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    macklatestupdate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, Italy is one of my dream destinations talaga. While reading your post, I was imagining I was there! :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. been dreamin' of going there since I was in college! this is on my wish list too!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Violy kakainggit ka girl! halos naikot mo na yata buong mundo! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  34. How I wish I could also visit Rome...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Really Awesome! How I wish to see this too! Super ganda!

    ReplyDelete
  36. this place is still a dream for me dahil ba naman sa mahal ng pamasahe. kaya hanggang pinas lang ang bakasyon namin. Congrats Violy!

    ReplyDelete
  37. The Colosseum is just one of the ancient highlights of Rome. I think if you go back in in the evening to see it again with the special lighting it looks even better then during the day.

    ReplyDelete