Sunday, April 8, 2012

Vivi's Bridge Camera Challenge: Black and White Photography

black and white photography using bridge camera, Cambodia

Without catchy colors how can you make your pictures stand out? How can you convey your message and inspire people with just two colors? A challenge yes it is, do you need a DSLR? Not really, A DSLR is just a tool, you can try this challenge even with your regular point and shoot. Why? Because black and white photography relies only on great composition, lighting and context.

Let me share just 2 tips in taking black and white photos:

1) Shoot in color - Yes you read it right, yeah I know almost all cameras even a point and shoot have a black and white presets but don't use it, just do post processing and convert the photos in black in white, the effect is always better.  You can experiment on this too for you to see the difference.

2)  Composition  -  composition is the secret to great photographs, it is your eye not the camera that determines how the picture will turnout. Yes you read it again and again in all my photography posts, and I will keep on repeating them, we don't need an expensive camera to take a good photo, simply put, Cameras "take" pictures but you make a good photograph by composing it. Before pressing that button, envision the scene you want to capture, the message you want to convey, that is what we call "Composition".
  
Let me share some of my work, photos are all taken using my bridge camera (Lumix FZ35) and mostly all are from my travels, enjoy the photos! They may not be that top notch quality, but I am proud of each one..
black and white photo of Saigon Park, Vietnam
my shot of Saigon Park
black and white photo of a Cambodian kid at Angkor Wat Temple
a local Cambodian kid at Angkor Wat Temple
black and white photo of a cat using a bridge camera
a neighbor's cat (check also my pet photography)

black and white photo of a Balinese statue, bali
from my recent trip to Bali
black and white photo of a couple doing prenup pictorial in Saigon
a stolen shot of a couple in Saigon (check more here)
black and white photo taken at Monasterio de Tarlac
from a Monasterio de Tarlac
black and white photo of Pompeii, Italy
from the excavated city of Pompeii, Italy

black and white photo of a walkway to Ferrari World, Abu Dhabi
walkway to Ferrari World, Abu Dhabi
black and white photo of a glass ceiling at vatican Museum, Vatican City
Glass Ceiling at Vatican Museum, Vatican City
black and white photo of a creepy walkway at Bayon Temple, Cambodia.
a creepy walkway at Bayon Temple, Cambodia

a black and white portrait. Camera used: Panasonic Lumix FZ35
a portrait of my nephew Gian (check my portrait photography)
black and white cloud photography, camera used: Panasonic Lumix Fz35
my try on cloud photography

black and white photo of a bride in Saigon. camera used: Panasonic Lumix FZ35
a stolen shot of a bride in Saigon (more here)
black and white photo of a water droplet, bridge camera used: Panasonic Lumix FZ35
my try on water droplet photography
black and white portrait of a girl. Bridge Camera used: Panasonic Lumix FZ35
a stolen shot of my niece Gail (check my portrait photography)
black and white photo of lovers in Venice. Camera used: Panasonic Lumix FZ35
a couple in Venice
black and white photo of Burj Khalifa, Dubai. camera used: Panasonic Lumix FZ35
Burj Khalifa shot from the highest Observatory Deck in the World
black and white portrait of a teenage girl. Camera used: Panasonic Lumix Fz35
stolen shot of my lovely niece Dhee from our backyard
Subject for black and white photography is vast, don't stop exploring because each one that you shoot with a story would surely be a masterpiece.. believe me. So just shoot and most of all have fun!!

Camera Used:  Panasonic Lumix FZ35
Photographer:  Vivi

Thanks so much for viewing! Until my next photo adventure!Smiley  





Pin It


49 comments:

  1. These are beautiful photos again. I am trying my hand at photography using just my point and shoot camera. Sometimes they do turn out great but most of the time, they do not. Haha. I guess I need to practice more and hone my "eye' for that background, frame, angle.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Blanca! Just keep on shooting in time you will find your niche... find the subject that you really love, maybe street photography? or you can start with your kids.. kids are always fun to photography. goodluck! ;)

      Delete
  2. the 3rd nad 4th photo really caught my eye.
    the photo of Burj Khalifa, the 2nd to the last is a unique shot. I've never seen a photo of Burj Khalifa similar to it.

    I agree with "it is your eye not the camera that determines how the picture will turnout".
    cheers =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! I love the saigon park and the stolen shot of the bride! The b&w drama is a plus :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos, I esp. like the Saigon & Bali photos. I'm a photography enthusiast, can't call myself a photographer (feelingera lang...hehe), all I do is trial & error, don't have the eye I guess and it's kinda hard for me to remember the correct camera settings. But I'll keep on shooting because I love taking photographs. Anyways, sometimes I get lucky, I was able to take some good ones. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mezmerising and very tastefully done! love every bit of your photos...may I know what type of camera and lens you used on these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy thanks for dropping by. I don't have a dslr, I'm using a bridge camera. ;)

      Delete
  6. "...your eye not the camera that determines how the picture will turnout". - Amen! I love the Bali snapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos!
    Shoot in colors, I agree!
    Editing to black in white does it better.
    I don't normally edit my pics to black and white except sometimes for portraits,
    where I feel B/W would be better..
    What I like about B/W is that it adds that sense of drama in the photo,
    they do not feel old but rather melancholic,
    so normally when I shot pictures of people that matches this settings,
    I edit to b/w. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely agree with everything you've posted. The camera can only do so much. At the end of the day, it's the cameraman's artistry that'll make a huge difference.. :) Anyway, love your beautiful photos sis! I've always wanted to practice shooting in black and white. Hopefully I get to find time to do it.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i agree with you, i attended a birthday party before and i did not bother to take some pictures because one of the birthday celebrant's relatives is using dslr camera. he's so busy taking pictures but when he uploaded all the pictures, blurred mga shots namin. malinaw pa yung isang picture ko sa cellphone. =( it's not really the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These photos are exquisite! And I actually learned something new, as I didn't know that post processing and converting the photos in black & white will have a better effect. Will surely try this on my point-and-shoot. Thank you for sharing this!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful pix all! I should try B&W more often. It does highlight composition more than colored pix. Colors give more visual "noise" I suppose. I usually use B&W in post-prod when the photo is blurred. I should experiment with it more. Thanks for the tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tips, photos, travels and your creativity inspires me! Way to go vivi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. interesting post I enjoyed browsing around your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. all are gorgeous!!! wanted to try to do some of this shots as well thanks for the advice!! love the droplet photos and your nephews shot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great shots! I only use a P&S camera but will try B&W photography.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ganda tlaga ng PUTI at ITIM! got an idea to try B and W phtography iba ang dating at emotions:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually love the black and white effects on photos. :) I wanna try it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the pics - full of emotions! so difficult to choose my fave haha as if i'm being asked. but really they turned out awesome. and thank you for the tips on how to make them. i do B and W using Picasa, but most of the times i like the colored ones.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ang ganda ng mga shots! Lalo na yung ceiling ng Vatican atsaka yung girl in Cambodia. Panalo! I wish I would be as good a photographer as you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I shoot in color and post-process if I want a monochromatic effect too. Nice shots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the 9th photo- Glass Ceiling at Vatican Museum, Vatican City and the 15th- your niece Gail. They're beautiful! As always!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Indeed, without proper lighting and composition, black and white photos are nothing

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also have a black and white photo in my wedding gown. And I super love it!! Parang mas meaningful and memorable sya for me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. beautiful photos mam. keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. BEAUTY truly is not based on the colors that are seen with our eyes....
    but the brilliance and deepness of meaning that are felt by the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true Marri! ;) thansks for dropping by. ;)

      Delete
  26. i love!!! ang ganda ng BW shots mo... shows life RAW. great composition :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ang gaganda ng picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. ganda nang shots mo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, those black and white shots are really good. I have yet to learn my point and shoot camera, these tips are handy. Thanks for sharing the tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. i love the your shoot in Saigon Park, and your cute niece. Saigon Park reminds me of a dramatic movie.. napaka-ganda!

    ReplyDelete
  31. these photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! and thanks for dropping by! ;)

      Delete
  32. Love your shots, keep it up!

    :))

    ReplyDelete
  33. No one can leave this post without a comment unless they can't enjoy photography. some of your photography are really awesome. I like the shots 'creepy walkway from Cambodia' and water drop... in black and white photography, light plays major role. the photo of Buddha from bali is fantastic. I think it's background was already in dark. that's why the photo looks so great. good job... keep it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Nabeel! yeah light plays a vital role in photography. Goodluck on your photography too, keep on shooting and have fun! ;)

      Delete
  34. beautiful photos! Indeed, B&W photography is very challenging, and not all colored photos can be converted to B&W. there has to be that contrast. I particularly like that Bali shot where there is strong contrast of black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nothing could beat black & white photos.... Beautiful shots... :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. nice shot :) lalo na yung Saigon Park, Saigon Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
  37. this is a nice blog. :D feel good sya! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for the compliment and for visiting my blog. ;)

      Delete
  38. Hey Ate Vi, Nice shots! Surely people don't need to use a DSLR to take awesome pictures as long as you take it from the heart and that's it. Fall in love with the subject, it will turn out really great. I do agree too in what you said that "it is your eye not the camera that determines how the picture will turnout" Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete