Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lock your love with...Padlocks!

It's Valentine's day in a few days and I was thinking what to blog about after my Camera Challenge on Capturing  Love through my lens. Then I remember coming across some Love Padlocks during my travel to Italy. On our trip to Florence we saw a lot of clustered padlocks on some chains, fence or railings and got curious so we asked our travel guide and she explained that those colorful Love Padlocks we can see  everywhere in Italy are affixed by lovers to  symbolize their undying love and affection... wow a tribute to eternal love! It is similar to Pinoy's engraving our names....to trees!! 


Actually this Love Padlock thing has its history and it is not only from Italy, it is worldwide! Check this out from wikipedia:

"In Europe, love padlocks started appearing in the early 2000s. The reasons love padlocks started to appear vary between locations, and in many instances are unsourced. However, in Rome, the ritual of affixing love padlocks to the bridge Ponte Milvio can be attributed to the book I Want You by Italian author Federico Moccia, who later made it into the film-adaptation Ho voglia di te.

Similarly, an attribution for the bridge Most Ljubavi (lit. the Bridge of Love—now named after the love padlocks) in Serbia exists, where they can be traced to even before World War II. A local schoolmistress named Nada, who was from Vrnjačka Banja, fell in love with a Serbian officer named Relja. After they committed to each other Relja went to war in Greece where he fell in love with a local woman from Corfu. As a consequence, Relja and Nada broke up their engagement. Nada never recovered from that devastating blow, and after some time she died as a result of her unfortunate love. As young girls from Vrnjačka Banja wanted to protect their own loves, they started writing down their names, together with the names of their loved ones, on padlocks and affixing them to the railings of the bridge where Nada and Relja used to meet." 

Here are some shots I have taken from Florence:



Whether we believe this or not is up to us, there are things that are a bit corny yes but we are always corny when we are in love! Smiley 


photo taken from: http://weburbanist.com/2011/01/12/locks-of-love-urban-padlock
How about you, what is the corniest thing you did for love? Smiley



Pin It


31 comments:

  1. I read about this a couple of years back. It a great symbolism of eternal love! :D Love it. I wish I could go there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and I wished to experience this padlock event. Hayst! love is really in the air. wishing everyone better love this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pics. I wish I can go there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know this, and it's so awesome, and so sweet to know how many lovers are there, hehe

    :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Vivi,

    this is such a beautiful entry. :) Reading your story, I remember the chain of padlocks that we saw in Koln, Germany on the way to the Cathedral. Nobody actually knew why those padlocks were there. This may just be an explanation for that. ;)

    jenny
    www.mannaforjenny.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!! actually for some areas these padlocks are starting to become an eye sore, even in Paris and some ares in Rome their government is already removing the padlocks. somehow it is true maybe selected areas are ok but not everywhere..

      Delete
  6. Aww.. That is so sweet. Siguro corny pero sweet pa rin. Hehe. Corniest thing I did for love? Errr, did a poem and posted in FB for my loves to see and friends niya? :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an interesting read. To answer your question, the corniest thing I did for love is lock away photos of me and my childhood boyfriend in a small memory box that I used to keep back in high school. Years and years later, when I was cleaning out my room since my husband and I were to use it after our wedding, I found the long forgotten box. My husband and I had such a good laugh over it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really cute! I hope we have something like that in the Phils too. Some sort of a tourist spot too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute to see this idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crossing my fingers to be able to see this place sooner. Great idea they have there by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe it's nice to put up a padlock retail business near that area. I am sure it will be a successful business. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. woh.. so harsh to say lock your padlock.. why oh why.. Let's open our heart to the right person and make some love love love http://pinoymanila.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw something like this but in South Korea. It's nice and they are in the form of trees too at the top of N' Seoul Tower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sana meron rin yan dito kahit corny I'll try it haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish to visit the place and see it for myself... very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so interesting...and sweet! ;) Oh all the things we do for love... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. ganda nman eto... hehhe.. padlock for love..!! magkano kaya ang padlock dyan? hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I called him on the cellphone 'coz I never did that to anyone before. They're the ones who called me. I don't call them. Maybe I was left out in the old days. Nowadays, girls do the first move and sad to say a lot of people now has low moral standards.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Masimulan nga yan dito sa brunei, near kampung air. and should have two options. either yung key itatapon sa dagat or yung partner. haha! (just kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  20. i've heard about these lovepadlocks.. pretty cool and cheesy idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. corny na kung corny... if that's what it take to have a lasting romance... then go on with it. i made poems out of her name (lol)... Yahweh bless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. meron ba nyan dito sa manila? haha it's still cute to be corny naman ah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow this is a great and sweet idea! :)I only saw one like these in China :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well, I do not know how many couples who put these padlocks really sealed their love for a lifetime. Anyway,corniest thing? I sent a love letter to a my high school crush who lives in my neighborhood. Arg!

    Mhar

    ReplyDelete
  25. Epic Love Expression Level: Italian!

    ReplyDelete
  26. this is the first time i've heard about this interesting story, thank you for sharing...:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. So true, we are corny when we are in love. But its still sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  28. "like" the first photo =) so sweet hehe

    ReplyDelete