Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pura Tirta Empul, Bali Indonesia (The Temple of Holy Water)

Pura Tirta Empul is a Hindu temple located in the Village of Tampak Siring, Bali Island, Indonesia. It is considered as the holiest temple on the island whose sacred spring is said to have curative properties which the Hindus use for purification.

Pura Tirta Empul, Bali Indonesia
People waiting for their turn to bathe and pray  
Pura Tirta Empul, Bali Indonesia

Pura Tirta Empul, Bali Indonesia
Locals offering to their gods
Pura Tirta Empul, The Temple of Holy Water, Bali

This is a sacred place so we have to wear sarong to be able to go inside. There's a section in the middle of temple where you can borrow a sarong,  the locals will even help you how to wear them properly.
Pool of the Sacred Water at The Temple of Holy Water, Bali
Here is the Pool of the Sacred Spring Water , can you see how clear it is??  The water here never dries and has been running for thousands of years
Pool of the Sacred Spring Water at The Pura Tirta Empul, Bali

Pura Tirta Empul is said to have been created by god Indra, archaeologists have dated the founding of the site around 926 AD. 
sculpture at the entrance of the temple
Pool of the Sacred Spring Water at The Pura Tirta Empul, Bali
Local kids enjoying the pond full of Koi
Balinese locals in prayers

Pura Tirta Empul, Bali Indonesia (The Temple of Holy Water)

Pura Tirta Empul, Bali Indonesia (The Temple of Holy Water)

Pura Tirta Empul, Bali Indonesia (The Temple of Holy Water)

Pura Tirta Empul, Bali Indonesia (The Temple of Holy Water)

Pura Tirta Empul, Bali Indonesia (The Temple of Holy Water)

Pura Tirta Empul, Bali Indonesia (The Temple of Holy Water)
with a local kid..

This trip was included in our 1 day tour of Bali, but you can take a  bus from Ubud straight to this place or rent a private vehicle.

Next time I come back to Bali, I hope to see this place again, but hopefully with a lesser crowd. Smiley   

Pin It


23 comments:

  1. they looked more like us. thanks for sharing with us your experience in bali. btw, good luck sa driving lesson. Yahweh bless. http://trunklocker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Ang ganda ng place <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Temples are sacred and holy place for worship. I appreciate spiritually those who come or pay a visit to the temples where they cleanse themselves of the sins of the world and stay worthy and be approved before the Lord or whatever gods they worship. That's what I respect. Though, I know there's only one God, one Lord and one baptism.

    Spiritual thoughts from Gil Camporazo of RandomThoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really is gifted in photography..Ganda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you doing the Eat, Pray, Love thingy? I would love to go to Bali someday. Do we need visa to go there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KC! Thanks for dropping by.. Yeah sort of .. Kaso Hanggang eat and pray Lang e.. Hehe ;-) Indonesia is a member of Association of Southeast Asian Nations, we don't need a visa to go there! Visit it soon! ;-)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing this. I love learning new things especially about culture, and your post definitely stirred my curiosity and interest.. :) Hopefully I get to visit Bali in the near future.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 926 AD????? That's really old!!! I am always in awe of old structures because it's truly amazing how they are able to withstand the test of time and survive til the present! This place reminds me of the Ganges River. Seems to have the same function, no? I'm just wary of dipping into a pool of water like that with a multitude of other people. Not very hygienic! Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. they have their own gods. hmm,this beelief and traditions is going on until now.I onlu pray to God and not to stones or any other form of idolatry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Busog na busog mata ko sa pictures. I dream to be in this country and now that i have read your blog ayan, para na ata ako nakarating dun! aheheheh :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love looking at pictures from other people's travels. I've never been to Bali. How was the weather there?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I so love the pool with the very clear water. Really is a mystery why it stays as clear as that! Even pools do get dirty after a week! Amazing!

    http://misexperienciaspersonales.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow.. Inggit lang ako. I've never traveled abroad. Dito pa lang talaga sa Pilipinas.. I wanna explore Pinas muna, but yes, how I wish makalibot din ako sa ibang bansa. :D

    The sacred spring is awesome.. though medyo madami na yatang mga green.. err, things (or baka mga plants lang yan? hehe), crystal clear pa rin ang tubig. And people are waiting for their turns to bathe and pray! Cool! Dito sa Pilipinas, agawan na at naguunahan na sa lines. :p

    Great pictures po! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the photos! It makes me want to travel there soon. Maganda tlga tingnan :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always wanted to visit Bali Indonesia because of their culture, I want to feel and experience the beauty of nature there. Thank you so much for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. huh! wish i could also visit the place, ur photos looks good and pro hah:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. really lovely places ... i love how you are able to capture these scenes ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a magical place. That clear pool is so dreamy. Would love to look at my reflection there. Narcis much! :=) Never heard about this temple till I read your blog. Thanks for the tip. Will definitely visit when I have the chance to go to Bali.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have gone to Bali but not in this place. It's very interesting though... and oh.. thanks for your comment on my blog post! Really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks too Janet for dropping by! Yeah try ubud next time you go to Bali, you will love it! ;)

      Delete
  19. Somehow I can see resemblance between Thai people and Indonesians when it comes to their way of worship, their ancient temples and their deities perhaps are quite similar too. I have seen a lot of temples here in Thailand but seeing an Indonesian temple would be another learning experience so if by chance I'll be able to visit Indonesia - I'll sure drop in one of those worship places they got.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book
    in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the
    message home a little bit, but other than that,
    this is wonderful blog. An excellent read. I'll certainly be back.
    my site > paid surveys

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I haven't been in Bali Indonesia but I can say that this is a wonderful place based on what I've seen on these photos. I'm sure you had a great time in this place. :-)

    ReplyDelete