Sunday, June 3, 2012

My Boracay sailing adventure gone wrong


Near death experience is my negative motivation to blog. Yeah, it sounds morbid... But true.  Have you had a near death experience? In my life I had 2 so far. First one when I got nabbed in  Manila, a guy  put a knife in my back! For like forever because he can't decide what to take. He was able to run away with my necklace and he left me shaken to the core.

The 2nd is  a few months ago, I went to  Boracay alone for a week to celebrate my birthday. I went sailing with an amazing lady I met when I joined an island hopping tour the day before. We left White beach with sunny skies then in the middle of our trip we started to see dark clouds coming our way from Romblon. We never thought it would come so fast, but it did in a matter of just a few minutes! Our bankeros (boatmen) secured our life vest and told us to hold on to the ropes tightly and make sure not to fall off . Easier said than done..

The heavy rains came with strong  winds, from sunny skies to typhoon #3! Visibility almost nil, and when you are sailing you rely on the wind to carry you away and with this weather it  is so difficult to fight it off by going the other way. It  brought us in the middle of nowhere, can't even see any island nearby. I was so cold and can't barely open my eyes, the waves are crazy and having it incessantly crushing on your small body is no fun at all, it is painful! With that heavy rain and water splashing on us from everywhere it is also so difficult to breath. And I know that with that strong waves and heavy rains, it can crush our boat into pieces and our life vest would not be enough to save us.  Nothing can be heard from our boat, but the whooshing sound of the wind and our bankeros (boatmen) shouting at each other to control the boat from tripping over. And that's the time I prayed.
Tita Sonia and our bankeros
It's my Bday and I will die with strangers! I prayed for God to take care of my parents if I die, and since it's my bday for God to let me die pretty (haha at least I'll die in my 2 pc!  ) and 3rd I told myself, there's no sense having adventures like this without letting the world know how fun it is  to explore, so I promised myself that If I survived this ordeal, I will blog! I prayed hard and as fast as the storm came, in a matter of seconds it just stopped! It did! Wow! Thank you Lord!

Until the day I die I will never ever forget that moment of fear, the possibility of dying in the middle of nowhere. The truth is that at that moment, I realized I am ok to die, I had my share in this world, but I was thinking how it will break my parents' hearts and I can't have that. 

finally... back to shore!

Life is all about taking chances or living with regret. I'd rather take my chance. Will I do it again? A loud YES! Because only in the comfort of nature and exploring I feel alive...  

For more pictures please click this link.


Check also my other Boracay posts:


Pin It


23 comments:

  1. It was the most dangerous birthday escapades I ever have.. remember that I just turned 58 ahead of you?.. but it never came into my mind that You and I will die during. I prayed so hard too and asked GOD to stop the rain, then HE stopped it. I asked HIM to give us sunlight, and HE sent some. I asked HIM to stopped the big waves that kept on engulfing us , HE did... GOD is so Good, HIS Wings is always there to keep us Warm.
    Shall we do it again? I think we should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was scary at both instances. Good thing you survived and was able share you ordeal and I like the positive attitude at the end of your blog. Life is not about how you die but it's how you lived and that's why we still have to take our chances even at times there are risk involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. grabe!!!! may purpose pa talaga si God .. kasi may unfinished business ka pa daw sa blogging and your future lifetime partner :))
    happy birthday! Carpe Diem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! that is so scary! I'm glad you guys were able to survive. but i'm even happier that you won't let this incident stop you from trying again. :) as they say, experiences make us stronger. inggit ako kasi di ko pa natry yan. hihi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fear ends when faith begins. God's goodness is indeed worth blogging about. Planning to go to Boracay next year, and I want to try sailing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you made through these challenges... and even at the time of difficulty, you can still be calm inside since you still do had funny thoughts with you and never forgot to pray. that's good. take care. Yahweh bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! I couldn't imagine how you've yelled out and shaken to death.
    Gladly, you're alive, enjoying and valuing more the grace of God. God has more in store for you Vivi. Embrace more the love of God....

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! Sis GOD is guiding you with the storms that you guys are experienced, GOD will never forsake you even in the time of disaster :-) Glad that you keep your FAITH :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really so scary at all. Good that you came out strong than the storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah times like this the worst we can do is panic. For sure if I started crying and panicking the boatmen won't be able to concentrate on their work. Whew! I am grateful that I was calm all throughout but really scared me!

      Delete
  10. whew!!! i had two near death experience. ist caramoan and 2nd malaysia. I promised myself not to go back to caramoan but your blog makes me think otherwise. Natawa nmn sa Lord let me die pretty at naka bikini!! belated happy bday sis!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked what you said about being ok to die at that time because it just shows you have no unnecessary burdens on your shoulder. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  12. This place is highly recommended.Last year dyan kami nag celebrate ng bday ng daughter ko super saya at sulit talaga yun pagod at gastos mo once na nkita mo ang BORACAY very relaxing ang ambiance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are very brave to do that, and I'm really amazed. it is a great unforgettable Daredevil experience.. Glad that you are safe now :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. if you are in Boracay, there will really never be a thing that will 'go wrong'... glad it went out well

    ReplyDelete
  15. Presence of mind is all it takes when you're caught in between. God is all around. A strong faith will do miracle. There is a lot of things to experience in life. And one by one we have to experience them. Now some of them have already been overcome by you. God has saved you. Be thankful and learn from them to be extra-careful next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed reading your life's event. Always remember, these real challenges in life makes person strong and gives power to tackle and problem of life.

    It is nice and also it is great inspiration for others that to keep patience while any problem comes in our life also people should not loose faith on god.

    thank you for sharing with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. you just don't know when things will happen... and you can't be prepared for everything... so always pray and ask for His protection... Yahweh bless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great experience. Scary indeed, but glad you survived the waves. For sure, it just made you more stronger and faithful to our CREATOR.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never been to Boracay but i will go there one day for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  20. there's an old belief that birthday celebrants are prone to accidents... or something like that... I think I would probably do the same thing as you did... and do it all over again too.. but sometimes such near death experiences allow one's appreciation of life. But you should also take care... our body is sacred.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow that boat does not look safe, but glad you made it out. At least you would die with nature around you, unlike me surrounded with pollution and buildings.

    Good thing is your living to the fullest, but be careful and lets here more of your adventures. Loving it

    ReplyDelete