Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Turtle Island and Tanjung Benoa Bali in just 3 hours!

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.  ~James Michener
 


Bought a lot of swimsuits for my Bali trip, so excited to enjoy the beach Bali is so famous for, but alas! We ended up enjoying the hotel pool than their beach! I have been to Bali twice and the beach lover in me was just so disappointed at both times (please check my Kuta Beach and Tanjung Benoa post). Should I sulk and waste my vacation? Of course not.. nobody is perfect and for me there is no such thing as a perfect place too. What matters most is how you look at the situation and how you will react. You can pout all day and complain, or look at the brighter side and explore more to look for other ways to have fun.. it's your choice. And my choice is to.. have fun!

Our flight back to Malaysia for our 3 days stay was scheduled in the late afternoon, since the airport is just around 30 minutes from Rumah Bali Bed & Breakfast, we decided to make the most of Tanjung Benoa has to offer so we rented a boat, snorkel and visited the Turtle Island in just 3 hours!

The sailors: we have this boat for ourselves yey!


Snorkeling -  nothing special about their water though, it's not as clear as the one in the Philippines. But this day marked one of the disappointing day of my travel life. I got my right eardrum ruptured again! One of the most painful things I have ever experienced, even more painful than the surgery itself! But I did not let it stop me from enjoying the trip..


Turtle Island:   this is a small island, a turtle sanctuary on the western shores of Bali. The sanctuary itself shelters a number of endangered sea turtles, from eggs to fully mature turtles. 



The island is just "ok" for me, I was expecting something more like turtles in their natural habitat.  The small place is crowded with tourist too.  They included other animals too for the pleasure of the visitors but I don't see their relevance to the place. We did not stay in this place too long, we just snap some photos and left.

So with just 3 hours we enjoyed Tanjung Benoa! My friend wants to try parasailing but not enough time anymore, will try it somewhere else next time. Will I come back here again?  I may not want to see their Turtle Island again (I feel sorry for the turtles being treated by visitors like toys)  but I still love Tanjung Benoa's resorts! I will not exchange the ambiance here with those resorts in Kuta.

For more photos please check this link.


Other Bali post:
- Tanjung Benoa Beach, Bali Indonesia
Kuta Beach, Bali Indonesia
Pura Tirta Empul, Bali Indonesia (The Temple of Holy Water) 
Vivi's First Tattoo from Bali, Indonesia 
Vivi's First Elephant Ride at Ubud, Bali Indonesia 
A True Bali Expirience at Rumah Bali, Tanjung Benoa



Pin It


10 comments:

  1. OH no! I really want to experience the same! Turtle Islandddds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Island hopping! Off to Turtle Island! :D Get a relaxing spot after that...Bali Luxury Villas

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like great destination for a family getaway. Maybe they will be able to develop a new system on how visitors will be able to interact with the turtles in a more considerate way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was quite disappointing and the places is just so crowded anyone can touch and carry the turtles. ;(

      Delete
  4. A few hours and you were able to do so much and that to me is something worth the vacation. Loved the sunset pic by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Franc! ;) the ambiance made my vacation worth it ...it is so unlike Kuta. ;)

      Delete
  5. You were right about the turtles, with their present situation, it can still be considered in captivity. What's wrong with the Bali beach then? :) Do they appear contaminated, polluted or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beach looks good but it is not "swimmable" it's an old mangrove area so there are still those baby mangroves which is not safe to walk on to, the water is muddy too and their shoreline is quite dirty during the time we were there.

      Delete
  6. Malaysia has plenty of amazing sights too. I want to visit that turtle island you went to :)

    I think Bali has amazing beaches. It's just that it can be a bit crowded and commercialized like Boracay. Sometimes, you just want a quiet relaxing time at the beach and not get frazzled by the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love snorkeling too. The turtle sanctuary is too crowded. Looks like the administrators of the place haven't realized yet the importance of a good turtle habitat.

    ReplyDelete