Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Leaning Tower of Pisa



Pisa is well known for Its Leaning Tower which is one of the most popular tower in the world, but the truth is, not only the tower is leaning; a lot of buildings in Pisa are leaning because of its sandy foundation.  




The square where the Leaning Tower is located is well known as “The Square of Miracles”, this name was created by an Italian poet  who  called it "Prato dei Miracoli" (Meadow of Miracles) while viewing the beauty of the marble monuments against the lush garden aboard a plane.   It is one of the best tourist attractions in  Tuscany  (please check my separate blog about Tuscany here) and Italy as a whole. Inside the Square of Miracles you will find the Duomo (Cathedral), the Campanile (free standing bell tower), the  Baptistery, the Camposanto (Monumental Cemetery) and the museums. The square is situated within one of the oldest medieval city walls.


       
the baptistery, Camposanto, The Duomo and the Tower of Pisa
The Square of Miracles, in the picture: The Baptistery, The Camposanto, The Duomo and the Tower


In 1987 the whole square was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The Duomo


The Duomo (Pisa Cathedral) and the Tower



Pisa Cathedral (Duomo di Pisa) is truly a work of art.  Yes the Leaning Tower is the icon of Pisa because of its popularity, but the Duomo  dominates the Square of Miracles.

The Interior of the Duomo





Coffer Ceiling





The 
Baptistery




The Baptistery of Pisa  has a circular design. On the top of the dome, there's the statue of Saint John the Baptist to whom the Baptistery was dedicated to. 

For a more detailed description and more photos inside the Baptistery, check this link.



The Tower

The Campanile or Tower of Pisa is a freestanding bell tower

While construction of the tower, due to its sandy foundation the building started to lean on its south side. The government decided to stopped the construction and it was left for a century. They resumed the construction on 1272 and adjusted the lean by constructing the upper floor with one side taller than the leaning side. 


The Tower was closed in 1990 because it was in danger of falling over but after construction work costing millions, tourists can once again enter the 800-year-old tower. To the naked eye, the 56-metre-high tower looks the same as it always has. But in fact the lean has been corrected by 45 centimeters.
                                                               Source:  - http://news.bbc.co.uk

For those who love souvenir shops, there are a lot of shops at a designated place inside the Square of Miracles. Outside the ancient walls up to the main street are also lined up with so many street shops! So enjoy shopping and of course enjoy The Square of Miracles!! Smiley





Pin It


38 comments:

  1. vi, thank you sharing your experience in europe! your blog is informative..i'll keep coming back for inspirations..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for this comprehensive post on Pisa. Usually bloggers would just post photos and a bit of info about the leaning tower only. Nice to see your wonderful photos of the church and baptistery. It gave me a fuller view of what this place is like. Sana magkapera ako at mapuntahan ko din yan. :=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AJ! Thanks so much! Yeah napansin ko din nga , Leaning tower Lang kasi ang Sikat but actually Hindi Lang naman sya ang "to see" sa Pisa. Thanks for enjoying my post! ;)

      Delete
  3. Did you take the photos? Ganda ng quality, pang post card. Hope you write a post on how to take quality photos yung pwedeng pang makeup tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did Krysta! Thanks so much... Wow nice suggestion maybe I should do that a bit hesitant kasi my camera is not a DSLR.. But I would love to! Salamat! ;-)

      Delete
  4. I love all the pictures and I envy you. This is one place I've been dying to visit for the longest time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. .. ulitin ko ulit you are so blessed!!! and we are too for having experienced "traveling" to Pisa, Italy!.. someday, someday... makavisit nga din! thanks!:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my dream to visit Italy especially Pisa. My relatives are in Milan and if they will invite me to visit them will go hopefully and visit Pisa too. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohe this is nice. you actually see it for yourself. oh i just wish...mmmh

    ReplyDelete
  8. what really amazed me with this tower is that,years have passed but still it stand firm with pride, though its leaning :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love your Italy series. However you went there in a tour right? Can you tell me how much was the tour? I'm a backpacker and on a very STRICT budget haha. I need to otherwise I won't survive my 70 days there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing! A very detailed post about the tower.. Good thing, there's Wiki. hihi.. Ang ganda ng tower.. Lagi akong nakakakita ng pictures ng mga tao, na kunyari ay hinahawakan yung tower, stopping it from leaning far over.. haha. Sana makapunta rin ako dito, para matry ko din. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. waaaaa. pangarap ko makapunta dito e... makakpunta rin ako hahaha.. thanks for the sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was our topic in school yesterday !!
    what a coincident !!

    We took a lesson here.
    thanks for giving me a complete information .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow so timely!. Dapat Di mo na yan makalimutan pag Binigay sa exam ha..hehe. ;) thanks for dropping by and Goodluck on your studies!

      Delete
  13. Wow this is amazing. My dream place. You're one lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the photos and again, I hope makarating din ako ng Europe, specifically Italy to see both the leaning tower and the Duomo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the photos.. I'm thinking if when can I go here.hihih

    ReplyDelete
  16. can't wait to see it myself there and witness and be scared of its leaning structure.hehe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sandy foundation is the main cause of the famous Pisa tower to tilt. Isn't it too dangerous for most of the edifices there are leaning? This is of course alarming!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wee kailan kaya ako makakapunta jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. First glanced sa mga photos? Is your photos real? Cause I was amazed! As in talaga @@ second glanced? I'M STILL AMAZED! haha for real! lucky you 'cause you're experiencing all that travel thing that everyone loves to do! I envy you! :<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. alam mo when I went to Italy wala pa sa isip ko blogging.. so when I took these photos and I edited it slightly just for my personal consumption nung gagamitin ko na sya for my blog dami kong nasayang na pictures di ko na sya ma-edit back.. hehe, kaya yung tone ng shots iba-iba tuloy.. hehe ;)) thanks for liking my photos!

      Delete
  20. thank you so much for this post and photographs. nice photography shots.
    I like the inside view of duomo di pisa... great..

    ReplyDelete
  21. now I know.. ^_^ I'd always wonder behind the secret of the leaning Tower of Pisa... :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. yeah ako din, then it's that simple pala... the place used to be under water kasi so sandy ang foundation nya.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Outstanding Pics! Love this post. Thanks so much!

    ~ Jupiter Jim

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think places that used to be underwater have soft foundation, the same could be said about amsterdam. Great pics, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very informative, and beautiful pictures as well. Thank you for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG. Pisa Cathedral is so amazing! I wanna see it for real!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great Shots...Italy definitely on my list. Looks like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful shots and background info of the Leaning Tower of Pisa :) I hope I can visit it in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wish I can also have the chance to gaze upon the splendors of this structure. More so if I can get inside it and feel what history has been telling us for so many years.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much for this post and photographs. nice photography shots.
    I like the inside view of duomo di Pisa... great.Pisa Cathedral is so amazing! I want to see it for real!Thanks for sharing.

    Desert Safari

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's a pity you don't haνe a donate buttоn!
    I'd most certainly donate to this fantastic blog! I suppose for now i'll
    settle for booκmаrking and adding yοur RSS feed to my Googlе accοunt.
    I lоoκ fοrwаrd to new upԁates аnd ωill
    sharе thіѕ blog with my Faсeboоk
    group. Chat ѕоon!

    My wеb-site; www.buildahealthybrain.com
    Feel free to surf my webpage how to improve cognitive function

    ReplyDelete
  32. does the tower continue to sink till this very day? such gorgeous pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Aw, this was a really good post. Fіnԁing the time
    and actual effort to maκe a gгеаt аrticlе… but whаt
    can I ѕay… I hеѕitate a whοle
    lοt and nеveг seem to gеt nearly anything
    done.

    Feel fгee tо surf to my site: dallаѕ tх сommercial cleаning, ,

    ReplyDelete
  34. Јust want to say your article is as surprising. The clarity on your publish is
    just nice and that i could assսme you're an expert on this subject.
    Fine aalong witɦ your permission allow me to seize your feed to keep updated with impending post.
    Thank you one million and please continue the rewarding work.


    Also vіsit my weƅ page TENS units for sale; ,

    ReplyDelete