Friday, July 13, 2012

A Traveler by luck.. or destiny?



Was it luck or was it destiny that made me the curious traveler that I am today? It is a question that I have often pondered in the quietest moments as I would think about when and where my next adventure will take place. Read on ……. You be the judge.

Traveling:

As I browsed through an old photo album, I recalled regular trips to the beach my family would take. Whether it was playing at the river or climbing trees, my childhood was one that was active from sun up to sun down. Just thinking back to those times and those short adventures, made my day.

Oddly enough, it was those trips with my family; routine family bonding as it were, that opened the door to a world outside of what I was familiar with.

In the early years during our summer break from school, I remember vacationing with relatives in Manilla, Bataan and Pangasinan. There were the boat outings on a river in Lingayen with my uncles; the lazy current taking us to nowhere in particular. I’ve been to Hundred Islands numerous times since it is near my mom’s hometown in Sabangan which reminds me of this fabulous public beach where I spent  everyday with cousins and if I wasn’t there, I was at my grandpa’s farm picking fruit, climbing trees or teasing grandpa’s carabao….  Without realizing it, my upbringing, as simple as it was, was the initial window to my world of travel.

 river at the back of our house with my kuya.. 
During my collegiate years, studied in Baguio and upon graduation, lived in Makati for 3 years as an auditor of a sugar manufacturing plant which gave me an opportunity to travel locally. My regular assignment in NasugbuBatangas gave me a chance to explore Cavite, Tagaytay and the further reaches of Batangas. The company also owned a plant in La Carlota, Negros Occidental which I was assigned to for 3 – 4 months throughout the year (two weeks at a time) during which my spare time was spent exploring Negros. Since it was a big company as well, our company outings were to places I couldn’t afford to visit, such as private  resorts in Batangas, Puerto Galera and Bataan. Luck or destiny?

our family trip to Baguio, I'm 10 yrs old here
Consider that on the first day I was transferred to work at the Subic office, I was sent to Cebu for a week, which, bide the way, introduced me to my first hotel stay. My first trip aboard an airplane overseas came when I was once again transferred to a newly opened branch in Malaysia. At that point, the proverbial door to my travel adventures was kicked down as Kuala Lumpur became my jumping off point to future excursions to Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam, UAE and Europe. It wasn’t until I really began sorting my photos that lo and behold, I find myself a travel veteran.

dinner cruise with friends during my recent trip to Dubai


Blogging:

Now while I love to open up a book and get lost in its pages, I rarely write. There have been times in various moments that I could conjure up a great fiction story in my mind that I think could be considered with the likes of Lualhati Torres Bautista but when the time came to put pen to paper, the concept somehow gets watered down into a half baked idea. So you may be asking yourself, then why are you blogging? Well, I will tell you. To celebrate my birthday, I traveled solo to Boracay where I met a fellow traveler like myself. She was a college professor  and used to be a mountaineer in her younger years. Her zeal for travel found her experiencing various cultures throughout most of Asia.


Boracay Island, Philippines
meet Tita Sonia, an extraordinary lady I met in Bora and we shared a special thing during our trip,  a brush with death!
One day we took off on a sailing adventure and much like the infamous Gilligan of mid-60’s American TV show, Gilligan’s Island, set off for a day tour and found ourselves in a near death experience. Like most of us during time of peril, we barter with God and I was no different on that boat during the experience. I promised Him that if I survived, I would blog about my adventures! (check my near death experience while traveling  entry) Well, I did survive and so here I am….. blogging.

So that’s the evolution of Vivi as a traveler and blogger. So I ask you, I am just lucky or what? Well, if you ask me, it has been a combination of both for which I am truly blessed to be experiencing.




This is my contribution to the “”The Journey That Made Us a Travel Blogger” Blog Carnival hosted by Edmar Gu-Quibb of Edmaration for the Pinoy Travel Bloggers.




Pin It


47 comments:

  1. so amazing that you where able to keep old photos :) and with regards to blogging I would say that you write so well. I enjoy reading your blog and journeys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww nag blush ako.. I know my limitations though, I have so many ideas but difficult for me to put them to words. ;( I need more practice.. thanks for enjoying my blog! ;)

      Delete
  2. ayy! first time here. Nagbabasa kasi ako ng mga entry sa carnival para ma-check kung hindi ba kahiya-hiya ang akin. hahaha!

    Anyway, natuwa ako sa story mo. siguro nga destiny mo talaga mag travel kasi bata ka palang ganun na ang lifestyle mo e. Naging bongga na lang ngayon. inggit ako. dami mo ng international trips. ako wala ni isa. hahaha! I'll be visiting often. hihihih! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe yaan mo darating ka din dyan sa international travels. ako naman I'm home to explore our country! so many places to visit here... at excited na ako to explore! ;) Leaving for a solo adventure to coron again in a few days.. excited mode.. ;)

      Delete
    2. I traveled to coron ng solo din. Safe eh. hihihi! At super ganda. Kahit paulit ulit ata akong ipatapon dun. chos!

      Delete
  3. For me, blogging shouldnt be as strict as when you are writing news or magazine articles... the point of blogging is to share your thoughts and experiences (grammatically correct or not) because once you get too concerned with that... then you lose one of the many great reasons why you are blogging in the first place. It's like making kwento with your friends... you wouldnt really think about using the right articles or what tenses you should be using... you just tell the story and share it... as long as your story has a heart... people would enjoy reading it. and if there will be people criticizing your work... let them be! They are the ones getting stressed out anyways... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true, but really intimidating sometimes when blogger blogs about the importance of perfect grammar, nakaka-intimidate tuloy imbes na comfortable ka in writing you'll be so conscious.

      Delete
  4. Wow finally, the beginnings of vivi's random ramblings. It's good to note that we were once schoolmates and somehow we've both ended up liking traveling and blogging and you've come a long way both as a blogger and professionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus you end up developing your writing and photography skills.

      Delete
    2. yeah I know.. small world dito pa tayo nagkasama ulit sa blogging! Nice to see you around.. ;) And I am proud of you too! YOu've come a long way both professionally and your running and your blogging! so proud of you! ;)

      Delete
  5. wow so you're a traveler nga from little to grown up! hehe

    san ba yang company mo at parang masarap mag apply jan? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah! hehe na suprise din ako. so natural for me travel, never realized I've been doing it eversince.. hehe. Actually a lot of people are thinking being a CPA is boring.. actually it is not, coz you get to travel a lot. :)

      Delete
  6. Travelling is in your veins .I know you'll be travelling to a lot of places more.Keep travelling and enjoy being single coz once you are married travelling might be different. You are a cute little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I know ma'am Tess pag may kids na kasi iba na priority and magastos na din pag may kids.. kaya enjoy muna ako.. hehe ;)

      Delete
  7. your family love to travel... dun mo siguro nakuha yung love mo for traveling... lucky for you, not all people have time or capability to travel. Yahweh bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah alam ko lang nung bata pa ako, naanis ako sa parents ko kasi regular bus lang nun e lahat kaming magkakapatid nagsusuka sa byahe pero lagi pa din kaming dinadala ni nanay and tatay sa galaan.. hehe ;)

      Delete
  8. This is a classic story of when luck meets destiny. I guess you were born with a wanderlust feet Vivi, you were meant to follow the path that destiny has planned and laid out for you, it just so happens that the path was sooo long it spanned the whole world.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha oo nga! I'm just lucky nga siguro in terms of traveling sana sa lovelife na din soon.. haha nag wish pa! ;)

      Delete
  9. Traveling is one of the best things to do in life. It opens your eyes with the different cultures around the world, and sometimes it humbles you. Actually, your blog is my fave travel blog. You're really lucky you got to travel to those places, and I'm quite sure you deserve it. :)

    Following your blog now btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww so sweet of you, thanks so much! I love dropping by your blog too, you're such a fashionista one thing I am not.. ;)

      Delete
  10. aw, cute photos! tama, i think sometimes it is destiny and luck that we get to travel. however, i also think it's by choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah true, it should be by choice too. but nung bata pa ako by "force" e.. haha.. no choice but to go with my parents kahit hirap sumakay ng ordinary bus kasi walang pang aircon nun at lagi akong nahihilo sa biyahe.. lol. pero nasanay na din! actually even now I hate the "traveling" part I just want the "being" there part na agad. ;)

      Delete
  11. We can appreciate things in life when we looked back and even realized how great things when we were still young.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's not a luck or destiny that you travel. It's the opportunity that paves all your journeys or travels made possible. Since you're kid, traveling wasn't remote for you. Now, you've documented those places what you've gone and visited with for others and even myself to be well-informed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all congratulations with all your accomplishments . I am really impressed that you still have copies of an old pictures with your family. My family photos and other stuff got destroyed when typhoon Ondoy hit Metro Manila. At any rate, cheers to good life~!

    -Chino Juanderfulpinoy

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is what I call work and play at the same time. You are very blessed to have such job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. You've been to so many places! I envy you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This blog is quite good, but I noticed grammatical flaws in this post. While it may be true that blogging should not be as strict as when you are writing news or magazine articles, I think it may be best to proofread and edit your blogs before hitting the Publish button as there are internet-connected people all over the world who are reading your posted articles. It may not be good reading articles with so many incorrect tenses, misspellings, etc. The internet is full of resources to help you develop and improve your English grammar skills...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Klaye for dropping by! Yeah I rarely proofread my posts, coz I rarely write pieces like this too, my blog is more of a photoblog. Will work on it more.. Thank you for pointing it out and for dropping by! Greatly appreciated. ;)

      Delete
  17. Hey ya Violy! Isa ka rin sa mga near-death experience na entry, hehe.

    Well, ang swerte mo. Mula bata hanggang pagtanda may travel opps ka. Sana ganyan din ako, haha.

    Salamat sa pag-join vivi ha. Ang gaganda ng mga entries niyo. I so much love them all, inspired ako today, grabe :) The task of compiling them isn't stressful, it was just an honor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tagalugin mo na lang 'kabayan' if hindi mo kayang i-express in good english. hindi kasi magandang basahin if mali-mali ang english mo. A blog with poor grammar, typo error and bad vocabulary could'nt make it to the top. If you're more on photoblogs, then just concentrate on it, ... don't write articles about inspirational/personal if you have poor command of english language...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. salamat Marge! now ko lang nalaman dami ko palang readers, pag ang blog pangit at walang sense di binabasa but I'm getting a lot of comments so that means people like my blog.. hehe. na edit ko na, promise exert na ako ng effort next time, will change my style and proofread from now on... salamat! ;)

      Delete
  19. Sama mo naman ako sa susunod sis, Kahit sa buntot ng plane OKs na ako! Loo! ;) swerte mo ha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awww we enjoyed the same childhood activities, pusang gala din ako Di napipirmi sa house. But haven't been out of the country... Sana soon na din!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You write so beautifully and effortlessly! I guess you were destined to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW, Violy,

    You are borned traveler and pictures are really awesome. You were cutie pie in your childhood picture.
    Good story :)

    Thank You for sharing with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd love to travel too. But I can't call myself a traveller because I still cannot travel alone. Haha! Hopefully, someday, if I got enough courage.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi violy,

    Everytime I look at your travel post I envy you, I only wish to get to those places because I can't afford to be there. You are so lucky! and thank you for sharing your travel experiences to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Traveling is God's way of saying, "Here's my creation, Here's my handiwork; Enjoy it". Nice article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it would be a waste not to enjoy what God has created for us. God indeed is awesome to have created this so much beauty.

      Delete
  26. I wish I could travel, and I have been able to travel when I was in the military.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I just got lucky too, if not because of work I don't think I can afford those travels on my own when I was still starting. ;) don't worry you just need time and for sure you will have it soon , enjoy your next travel adventure! ;)

      Delete
  27. That is so cool, that is probably meant to be for you hehe.. I wish I can be a traveller too but I am someone who hates travelling or probably I wasn't really the person fond of it. It seems so nice, fun and thrilling though.. sana one time maging gnyan ako haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. OH!!!How I wish I can go whatever i want,,,in my own sacrifices,to have my own money

    ReplyDelete
  29. Out of a totally horrible experience comes a wonderful output. Glad your spirits chose to be positive. Be safe always. Happy blogging :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh I really like your article...You probably shared your experiences...I enjoy read it It's absolutely amazing...

    ReplyDelete