Thursday, July 26, 2012

10 Must-See Places in Florence, Italy Part 2

Page 1   2

6)  Basilica di Santa Croce (Basilica of the Holy Cross) -  The Basilica is the largest Franciscan church in the world. Also known as The Temple of the Italian Glories (Tempio dell'Itale Glorie) because it is a burial place of some of the most illustrious Italians such as Michelangelo Buonarroti, Niccolò Machiavelli, Galileo Galilei, Ugo Foscolo, Lorenzo Bartolini, Giovanni Gentile, and many more.

Florence, Italy

Florence, Italy

Florence Italy
large statue of Dante (1865) by Enrico Pezzi on the left side of the Basilica
entrance to the Cloister
Florence, Italy
On the right side of the Basilica is the Cloister, the14th century refectory, housing the famous Crucifix by Cimabue, one of the most important works of art ever.

7) Museo Casa di Dante -  is a typical medieval home with a small museum dedicated to Italy's greatest poet , Dante Alighieri. The museum represents his life.

Florence Italy
photo from www.museocasadidante.it

Florence, Italy

8) The National Museum of the Bargello is a former barracks and prison, now an art museum. The museum houses masterpieces by Michelangelo, Donatello , Vincenzo Gemito, Giambologna and many works from the Della Robbia family.

9) Ponte Vecchio - the most famous bridge in Florence, from Piazza della SIgnoria walk towards the Uffizi Gallery , go straight and you will see River Arno. On the right is Ponte Vecchio, it is also the oldest bridge in Florence,the bridge consists of three segmental arches.

Florence, Italy

Florence, Italy

Love Padlocks - along the bridge you will see a lot of Love Padlocks, it is connected to Lovers' devotion by locking the padlock and throwing the key into the river which symbolizes undying love, sweet or not? But unfortunately the padlocks are destroying the structure of the centuries-old bridge.

10) Shopping and of course... food area - whenever I think of Florence, gold and leather comes to mind. They have a huge and artistic collection! Even without any intention to buy, you will still enjoy walking around and checking their stuff. And of course don't ignore their food! Florence is  Travelers' Choice® 2012 Winner for Food & Wine (2011).





Florence also made it to the list of Traveler's Choice -2012 as Top # 12 Best Destination in the World (TripAdvisor). So what are you waiting for? If you are a lover of art and history, Florence is the best city for you. From Italy's best museums, beautiful cathedrals and churches, interesting streets and piazzas... much more awaits, just walk aimlessly and let the city suprise you.



Page      1      2




Pin It


21 comments:

  1. 10 more reasons to visit Italy. I also like their coffee especially Lavazza coffee. I hope you were able to try it in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Franc, yeah I did but I don't really like coffee in the first place. I enjoyed their wine more.. hehe ;))

      Delete
  2. Aside from my love for pasta, I would also like to see it with my own eyes those love padlocks thing :) It's great that you got this kind of golden opportunity to visit one of the most sought travel destinations in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dimaks! Actually their government is already prohibiting the padlocks 'coz they are destroying the centuries old structures but of course they can't stop it permanently.

      Delete
  3. So amazing, the church is such a beauty, so stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that LOVE PADLOCKS... and of course, Italian cuisine. I think I really dont need 10 reasons... i just need two... pizza and pasta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah! me too, but for me it's pizza and gelato! I still prefer our filipino-sytle pasta.. ;)

      Delete
    2. I agree with Koko. Pizza and pasta are enough reasons. Haha! You really is a certified traveller and lakwatsera, Violy. Hay!! I hope to be and to do this too, someday.

      Delete
  5. Your gift in photography always takes me to wondrous places I have yet to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how unfortunate that those locks are destroying the structure I wonder how many couples have love lock themselves there

    ReplyDelete
  7. my bro is italy right now... and all i'm asking to bring here is an italian pizza... hahaha. love the pics. Yahweh bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How i wish to win in the lottery to visit Italy.I super love this country,in fact I almost married an Italian just to live there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bellissimo pictures of Italy! It's really one of those places to see before you die. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love padlocks - I love the idea that it symbolizes undying love truly sweet :) .. For now, I only travel these places like Italy through blogging and I hope to travel out of country soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am an incidental traveller...I travel only if I have to, heheh. But I like looking at the world through the eyes of others, so in this post of yours, I have see Florence :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of the places I wish to visit before I die :) You are very lucky that you can travel a lot

    ReplyDelete
  14. cool buildings and sculptures. walking through italy to admire the buildings and sculptures in the street is like a free museum. i have only been to rome, venice and milan, as well as eurail trip through the countryside towards venice, italy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah Florence is indeed a free museum. Unfortunately I wasn't able to have a taste of their famous gelato, according to Italians, in Florence you will find the best gelato in Italy..

      Delete
  15. Breathtaking architecture! Thank you for these recommendations. Must see places!

    ReplyDelete