Sunday, August 26, 2012

An Unforgettable Trek to Kayangan Lake, Coron, Palawan

At the heart of typhoon Ferdie, while most of you stayed indoors, sipping your coffee and trying to keep warm, I was out in the rain.  Rain or shine I will enjoy Coron! On the 2nd day of my 1 week solo trip to Coron, I joined a tour group and off we go to Kayangan Lake among other places. It has been raining since the day I arrived so the usual slippery trek up the mountain was 4x more treacherous! Scary? nah.. exciting! Not easy to take photos too when it's raining so thank you to the inventor of Ziploc!


Kayangan Lake is an an ancestral domain of Tagbanua people. It is considered as the cleanest lake in Asia and one of the must-see places in Coron. Actually as of this writing, Kayangan Lake ranks  #1 must-see place in Coron, Palawan according to Tripadvisor.

Let me share some of my shots:

What to expect on the way up and down the mountain-   steep, slippery and quite dangerous because of the rain. Don't let this discourage or scare you,  just be careful and watch your steps! If you ask me, climbing Mt Tapyas is harder than this one.




Around 15 minutes climb and you will enjoy the breathtaking view of Coron. For sure you are so familiar with this place, it is one of the most well photographed view of Coron.  Alas for me, because of the rain it was quite difficult for me to take a good shot.


with JP, a backpacker I met from Bohol
Opposite the magnificent view is an opening to a small cave:

the cave
Then walk down another 5 to 10 minutes and you will be rewarded with a taste of paradise...

Kayangan Lake:


 
The water is deep so make sure to bring your life vest and of course your snorkeling gear.


 I shall return Kayangan Lake. Till next time.




Pin It


14 comments:

  1. Wow, so brave of you to go solo. It must have been really hard to trek up that mountain because of the mud. I was there last Feb and it was a little hard for me going up there even if the ground was dry. It was worth the effort, though. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah specially the way down one kid even slide off coz it was really slippery. But worth the effort indeed, would love to come back to this place again, maybe next time with a good weather. ;)

      Delete
  2. i remember this place and robert (one of the guy we meet on our trip) said to his FB status "im on daranamu island" (where the heck is that place). later on we learned that the word "daranamu" is a native tagbuan greeting to their visitors. hahhahaa....seriously i cant wait to return on this place (hopefully no rain) once is definitely not enough. and hopefully meet you again and the guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah ako din hopefully next time no rain! Hehe. Actually I was a bit sad that day I was expecting familiar faces kaso Wala kayo. ;( yeah sana next time maulit ulit.. Reunion time! ;)

      Delete
  3. I love everything about Kayangan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I wonder if my kids are old enough to handle this climb? They have done the Pinatubo trek. Do you think they can do this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they can, actually for me, climbing mt Tapyas in Coron is harder than this one. Mabato Lang dito and maputik pag umulan but few minutes Lang naman around 50 steps Lang paakyat another 30 pababa sa lake, for sure they can do it. ;) enjoy Coron!

      Delete
  5. This is just beautiful. You are so blessed to have an opportunity to visit this place and document it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to any beach in Palawan and I'm drooling on the photos with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful. You are very blessed to be able to visit this place and document it for others to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also loved Kayangan lake in Coron when I visited the place last year. I also have a photo of the most photograph area in Coron. Really breathtaking

    ReplyDelete
  9. A paradise after an almost vertical slippery slope. I haven't been there but I'm sure being there is one of those priceless experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I particularly envy the lake, you guys have the time of your life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh i love the place, it's soo beautiful! i wanna travel on my own too and discover the world all by myself. im sure it's fun!

    ReplyDelete