Sunday, October 7, 2012

Exploring Coron, Palawan beyond the norm

Everywhere you go, there will always be one place that will touch your heart. For my recent trip to Coron, Barangay Lajala is on the top of my list.  There is something about spending time with locals and knowing their way of living that fascinates me, it is more personal, more authentic way of knowing and exploring one place than just coming and visiting their tourist infested places.



And much more than that is the realization that no matter how small a place is, there will always be something to be awed about. Check these fishermen doing their daily routine. Picturesque right? Could be  a perfect shot, but it is more than that, it speaks of a simple life. Of life's beauty in Coron beyond those famous areas that thousands of tourist explores everyday.


Barangay Lajala is located at Uson Island in Coron, Palawan. I have 5 days to tour Coron and I was studying places to see, I got curious to try their "Las Islas Tribal Eco Tour", when I read the itinerary I just knew I have to have this tour! And I was not sorry I did. It is just around 20 to 30 minutes boat ride from the main town of Coron.

Let me tour you to Barangay Lajala:


the local houses:

Here's our group hanging out with the local kids:


right picture below is the only chapel they have:



with new found friends I met on the tour, picture taking time before leaving this awesome place..

Hoping that I have made you re-consider including trips like this to your next itinerary.

Let me share just 3 simple tips in exploring Coron. 

3 simple tips in visiting Coron:
1) Read and research about Coron and jot down those places you want to see and explore
2) Check what local tour group offers, you don't have to avail of their service but if you are on a tight budget, join the tours unless you want to rent a boat on your own which is quite costly
3) Everyday you join a tour means joining a different group, for a solo traveler like me, that means spending time with different people everyday. So be friendly! The joy of traveling lies in meeting different people and winning friends over.  Life is better with more friends. You'll never know how these people would leave marks on your life. Goodluck and happy traveling!




Pin It


31 comments:

  1. Nothing beats interacting with the locals to get a fresh new insight on a tourist attraction. It gives you a whole new perspective. That makes a trip more memorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting.. besides interacting with the locals, what other eco activity did you do on the island? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur that that first shot is perfect.

    Indeed, there is beauty to be explored in places a lot of people have not cared to explore. Plus, interacting with the locals, the people who know a place better than anyone else, gives a person a more profound understanding of a certain location.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kainggit.. i want to go to coron

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I wish I can travel in a solo too, Im afraid I'm not good in familiarizing

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is nice!
    A break from taking snorkeling tours in Coron.
    Much like a visit to Culion island.
    but this is more like immersion to the local settings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hindi kami umabot ng Coron ng nag Palawan kami. Sayang.:(
    Mas makikilala mo yung lugar kung makikisalamuha ka talaga sa mga tao doon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Coron! By the way, you can also go Calauit Island where the "Safari of the Philippines is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we love Coron. It's my favorite town ever. I wanna live there someday.

      Delete
  9. Love Coron! By the way, you can also go Calauit Island where the "Safari of the Philippines is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spending time with the locals is really an enriching experience since you get to know more about their heritage and culture. It was also a picturesque place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss this kind of setting, we really need to plan our Coron trip next year, thanks for sharing Violy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've bookmarked this post to guide me when I plan a visit to Coron next year. I love the last picture. So serene.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Exploring and at the same time mingling with local folks is a good sign of how important TRAVEL was into your LIFE. You will not exactly know the place if you will not ask the people living there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A Pastor-friend of mine lives there and he constantly reminds me to visit him there. Maganda raw ang place. Hopefully, summer of 203, pupunta ako riyan for a Pastor's conference.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is not just visiting the place but interacting with the locals there. Good for you! I'll share my experience there too once I'll have my vacation... :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seeing this makes me even more excited for my upcoming trip to Palawan next month. Although it's going to be in El Nido, I'm sure the scenery will just be as stunning as this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wanna go to Coron! Your pictures are really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a different Coron post from what I usually read. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a one-of-a-kind tour --- one that I would actually consider doing myself as well. I'm happy that you got to immerse yourself in experiences such as this. It makes you see how life can be very simple yet still enjoyed in the best way possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't know they had Las Islas Tribal Eco Tour there but we had limited time, so even if we like it we just can't =(

    Great shots Violy, you really captured the essence of Lajala =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. tourism is truly all about people and community not just the beautiful and amazing part. you've captured the emotions and exact colors violy. Ganda!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The place looks nice. Some friends invited me to go there, but I'm not really an adventurous type. My first reaction was. Are there good restaurants there?! =))

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is one place included in my bucket list of must-go-to places

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sis, ang ganda ng mga photos mo! I particularly liked the first 2.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Enjoyed reading this. Simply Written.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely photos! The first one made me even fell in love with the idea of being in this place! Did you travel from Palawan? Or straight at Coron?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rojae thanks for dropping by. I traveled straight to Coron from Clark.

      Delete
  27. Lovely photos! The first one made me even fell in love with the idea of being in this place! Did you travel from Palawan? Or straight at Coron?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice one IDOL! I wish I can travel as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great Coron you got here! Kudos! - Ervin, Schadow1 Expeditions

    ReplyDelete