Tuesday, July 24, 2012

10 Must-See Places in Florence, Italy


Can you name at least 5 Top Cities in the World for travelling? For sure you will consider Paris, New York City, Rome, Sydney, Hong Kong?

According to Travel + Leisure World's Best Awards - 2012,  here's the readers' Top 10 Cities: #1 Bangkok, #2  is Florence, #3 is Istanbul, #4 Cape Town and #5 is Sydney, #6 Rome, #7 New York City, #8 is Hong Kong , #9 is Kyoto, Japan and #10 is Paris. So how many of these cities have you visited so far?

For this post I will introduce you to Florence, one of the most beautiful cities in the world, it is the capital of Tuscany and the center of Renaissance in Italy. Florence has been the #2 Best City in the World since 2011, it is home to greatest artistic treasures in the world.

Let me share my 10 must-see places in Florence:

1) Piazza della Signoria - the political hub of Florence, the meeting place of Florentines located in front of Palazzo Vecchio.

Piazza della Signoria
at the back is Loggia dei Lanzi , the free open-air sculpture exhibit /art museum located at the corner of Piazza della Signoria
.

Some of the artworks at Loggia Dei Lanzi:
at Loggia dei Lanziat Loggia dei Lanzi
Left: The Rape of the Sabine Women.
Right: Benvenuto Cellini's Perseus with the Head of Medusa.
at Piazza della Signoria
This Fountain of Neptune (1563-1565) by Bartolomeo Ammannati was commissioned on the occasion of the wedding of Francesco I de Medici (whose face served as Neptune's model) with the grand duchess Johanna of Austria in 1565.  This fountain is located beside Palacio Vecchio at Piazza della Signoria, Neptune is the Roman god of the sea, the fountain was meant to symbolize Florence’s dominion over the water. 
Piazza della Signoria
the most famous statue of course is a copy of Michelangelo's David, located near the main entrance to the Palazzo Vecchio.
Piazza della Signoria, Florence
The "bronze equestrian statue of Cosimo I" by Giambologna (1594) located near The Fountain of Neptune

2)  Palazzo Vecchio - also known as  the Old Palace,  is the town hall of the city and one of the most impressive town halls of Tuscany.
at the entrance of Palazzo Vecchio is a copy of Michelangelo's David and Bartolommeo Bandinelli's Hercules and Cacus

3) Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore / The Duomo -  the main church of Florence. The dome of the Basilica is the largest brick dome in the world. The Basilica is dedicated to Madonna or the Virgin Mary.





Florence Cathedral or Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore
Giotto's Campanile / Bell Tower
4) Florence Baptistry -  also called Baptistero di San Giovanni (Baptistry of St. John) is located across the Duomo and the Campanile. It is one of the oldest building in the city.


check the intricate design of the Baptistery's main door
we were not allowed to go inside, but we had a glimpse of the interior wall design 
5) The Uffizi Gallery - is a museum in Florence, Italy. It is one of the oldest and most famous art museums of the Western world. In here you will find the paintings of Leonardo da Vinci, Sandro Botticelli, Giotto, Titan, Michaelangelo, Raphael, Hugo Van Der Goes to name a few..

Florence, Italy

Florence, Italy



Page      1      2



Pin It


29 comments:

  1. wow! bangkok is number 1? i've been to 3 places only.. Bangkok, NYC and Hongkong.. Wish i could also visit Italy someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah Bangkok, 2 years in a row too. sana soon any city from our country naman.. sana!

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't exactly pick Bangkok as #1 in that list of cities. I wonder what the criteria was for that list?

      Delete
    3. Yeah I feel the same, T + L Criteria: sights, cultural / Arts, restaurants / food, People, shopping, Value.

      Delete
  2. Florence was one of our stops on our honeymoon so looking at your pictures brought back so many happy memories. I can't believe that I have been to 9 out of the 10 cities you listed. Cape Town remains the elusive dream. Buti na lang it's Kyoto on the list, because I haven't been to Tokyo yet. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow 9/10! almost perfect galing naman.. ako malayo pa e.. hehe. I went to Italy with my then boyfriend too, it's a romantic place.. ;)

      Delete
  3. I really would want to visit Italy one day and I've always loved how Europe is so culturally rich and seeing several hundred of years structures is really amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the architecture! So intricate and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it is, you should see their small towns, so rich with history and great architecture.

      Delete
  5. Awesome architecture, hoping someday i can visits those places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooopps,its very beautiful....i like ur post with this beautiful pics from italia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for liking my post. Visit again next time. ;)

      Delete
  7. Idol Violy! another awesome post! Thanks for sharing your travel experiences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Ron! Hey where is your travel blog, can't wait to read about your travel adventures too.. ;)

      Delete
  8. Nice Shots. Very bold colors. Awesome architecture from brilliant minds. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you sir! Drop by my blog anytime.. ;)

      Delete
  9. I have been to Bangkok a few times and twice in Hongkong. I enjoyed these trips. The next thing in my mind is Japan when the Flower Blooms and the cherry blossoms shows it beauty, but so far that is just a dream. Italy is a nice place with great architecture and statues. But before I go there, maybe I need to travel the whole Philippines first..LOL....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I want to visit Japan too, but they said Tokyo is one of the most expensive city! maybe will try Kyoto. ;)

      Delete
  10. None, I haven't been to any of the top 10 cities in the world.Poor me,I just wait for my winning lotto to travel to the whole world and of course these top cities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you will get your chance Ms Tess! maybe one of your kids will love traveling.. ;)

      Delete
  11. I would love to go here someday. Lots of interesting places, the architecture, the food and the culture. Very beautiful ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it is. They said before you travel other European countries you should see Italy first, it has something for everyone, so rich with history, great and medieval architecture and of course their food! I can still taste their gelato and those huge pizza! yummy! :)

      Delete
  12. Wow nice place,,How I wish I can visit there..

    ReplyDelete
  13. That baptistery main door......I swear it didn't look like that when I visited years back. Was it restored/cleaned out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yeah our tour guide mentioned something about restoration. Nice one right? I love it too.

      Delete
  14. ruben licera7/31/2012 12:47 PM

    I really love to have a tour ,,,only God will know it right???

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow.. thanks for sharing these lovely places.
    one day, i will be able to tour the world. and i would love to share my experiences as well. :) for now, i have to study so that i will be able to earn money in the future. hihi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodluck Kai Darul!! For sure you will, yeah for now study well first and don't stop dreaming! Your time will come and for sure you will be able to go to more places I've been to. And I can't wait to read your travel adventures! ;)

      Delete
  16. I'm gonna love Florence... Kahit forever na cguro 'coz I love their architectures...Super !!!!

    ReplyDelete